Need for the speed of the website and should render in a fast and furious manner is the need of the hour. It is the first impression that matters. Even if you made this on later stages still, it is always better to create a fast website from the beginning.
There are many first time visitors. Most of the times they would not return for the second time. Followings are some of the options you can do to make your WordPress website load faster.
Choose a good host:
A good host always aims to make your site load fast. A good host always uses latest PHP and MySQL version. WordPress works with PHP and MySQL. It is for security and making your site run faster.
Benefits of good hosting or managed to host are enormous this includes, pre-tune server-optimisation, automatic updates, built-in timeline snapshots so that you would not worry about backing up website always and last not the least is the presence of integrated content delivery network (CDN) to make the website faster and more secure.
1.Use a content delivery network (CDN):
- Use Auto Minify to reduce the file size of source code on your website. It removes unnecessary and redundant characters from the source code of your website. The unnecessary character from source code includes whitespace, comments. It does not change characters of the way website loads.
- Due to minification, total compression of source file occurs, the send and receive amount of data sent and receive with the browser of visitors ultimately improves page load times.
CloudFlare CDN uses Brotli speed compression so that it speeds up visitor’s HTTPS traffic. It is advance compression mechanism, it is there with the modern operating system.
- If Brotli compression does not work with visitor’s browser then, Auto Minify or Gzip compression work.
Caching is the temporary storages to store the content of different elements of the website. It is better to employ caching from the server. Different elements of the website include
Good web servers provide web accelerator like ‘Varnish’. Varnish can speed up your website by up to three to five times by caching static and dynamic contents. It can
- cache images,
- plain HTML,etc.
According to cPanel:
“Optimize the performance of your website by tweaking the way Apache handles requests. Apache allows you to compress content before sending it to the visitor’s browser. The types of content to be compressed are specified by MIME type. This feature requires Apache’s mod_deflate to function correctly.”
OPTIMIZE WEBSITE works in two prolonged manner.
- Compress All Content
- Compress the specified MIME types such as text/html text/plain text/xml
Image files does take huge size in WordPress and makes loading of site slow, it also consume too much of bandwidth thus slows downloading of the website.
Use WordPress Smushit plugin. Search in the plugin in the directory as “Smush Image Compression and Optimization”.
You can smush individual images via Media Library.
- Automatic Smush automatically smush image when you upload on your site.
- It remoes EXIF data that stores camera settings, focal length, data, time, location informations in image files.
- These are generally not required when you attach a photo in WordPress articles.
You can save a tons of space when you resize full size images and thus over-sized images are resize so that there will not be any large sized images on your server before these are added into the gallery.
5.Compress your site:
It is like thinking entire website as a file and then compress it. From Cpanel go to SOFTWARE and then OPTIMISE WEBSITE and then COMPRESS ALL CONTENT and then UPDATE SETTINGS.
Then log into Cpanel then SECURITY and then to HOTLINK PROTECTION. Then ENABLE it.
According to cPanel HOTLINK PROTECT is:
“Hotlink protection prevents other websites from directly linking to files (as specified below) on your website. Other sites will still be able to link to any file type that you don’t specify below (ie. html files). An example of hotlinking would be using a <img> tag to display an image from your site from somewhere else on the net. The end result is that the other site is stealing your bandwidth. List all sites below from which you wish to allow direct links. This system attempts to add all sites it knows you own to the list; however, you may need to add others.”
6.Optimise structure of your Home Page:
Show, post excerpts in Home Page, create a static page for Home Page, apply the lesser number of widgets in it and make it fully optimised to load faster. It is the first impression of your site that closes to the mind of visitors and imprint on them tor return here again and again.
You can read about how to create a landing page without code or plugins.
7.Speeding up your WordPress website with CDN:
- Enable CloudFlare free CDN on your website by following instructions from here.Install a free TLS/SSL certificate signed by CloudFlare on your origin server by following instructions from here.
Log in to CloudFlare, SITE (mohanmekap.com) then DNS and then DNSSEC. According to CloudFlare,
- “DNSSEC protects against forged DNS answers. DNSSEC protected zones are cryptographically signed to ensure the DNS records received are identical to the DNS records published by the domain owner.”
- Log in to CloudFlare, SITE (mohanmekap.com) then SPEED and then AUTO MINIFY
- Scroll down to reach to BROTLI compression. Enable it. It speeds up page load times for your visitor’s HTTPS traffic by applying Brotli compression.
- Log in to CloudFlare, then CACHING and then to CACHING LEVEL. Choose STANDARD caching level. It delvers a different resorce each time the querry string changes.
- Next scroll down to BROWSER CACHE EXPIRATION and choose RESEPCT EXISTING HEADERS. .
In this way, there are various ways one can easily speeds up WordPress. There are different ways such as through cPanel, through the content delivery network or through editing of PHP files and optimisation of My SQL databases.