DigiLocker or Digital Locker comes under the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) under National e-Governance Division. Digital Locker is under Digital India initiative.
- It aims to create electronic documents and reduce the use of physical documents.
- It works in the principle of ‘authenticity’ and self-attestation through one-time password on the registered mobile number. It provides the electronically signed facility.
- These documents can be treated as original and can be shared across different agencies.
- DigiLocker is a cloud-based initiative from Government of India.
- Documents inside DigiLocker can be used for sharing, storages and verification of documents and certificates.
- It has one GB of free storage place.
USER ID CREATION:
- Go to digital locker website at https[:][//][digitallocker][.][gov][.]in[/]
- Sign up with Digital Locker is absolutely free.
- Indian citizens with Aadhaar number can create Digital Locker account. Keep using your own number which is registered with your Aadhaar number.
- If you want to change registered mobile number attached to Aadhaar, you can do it by visiting the UIDAI centre.
- Click on ‘Sign-Up’. Enter your unique 12 digit Aadhaar number.
- It is a good idea to log in with Aadhaar number. Avoid log in with username and password. There will be two options to sign up for your DigiLocker account. One is USE OTP OR USE FINGERPRINT.
- If you want to use Aadhaar registered mobile number then select USE OTP.
- Then OTP or one-time password received on your registered mobile number and put the OTP received on your mobile.
- Click on VERIFY button. If everything goes right, then your account will be verified.
- After validation of OTP, the application or in the web ask the user to put USERNAME and PASSWORD.
- Enter your desired USERNAME and PASSWORD for Digital Locker (DigiLocker) account.
- Then, you will reach to Dashboard of application.
- DigiLockeraccount can be created with Android App or can be done with the web browser in Windows by reaching to the above-mentioned website.
- When you reach at Dashboard of the website this means that your account is now created.
How to Sign in to Digital Locker Account:
- Go to [https][:][//][digilocker].[gov].[in]
- Click on SIGN IN at the top right-hand side of the page.
- There are three options to log in to Digi Locker.
- The first option is Aadhaar and OTP on Aadhaar registered mobile.
- The second option is USERNAME and PASSWORD created just after account creation.
- The third option is FACEBOOK ID validation.
- For Aadhaar login, put OTP and then click VERIFY.
- For USERNAME and PASSWORD log in with these credentials.
- Then click on SIGN IN button after that.
- For the third option of logging with Facebook enter your FACEBOOK ID and PASSWORD and before it selects SOCIAL MEDIA (FACEBOOK) option.
UPLOADING CERTIFICATES & DOCUMENTS:
- Reach to DASHBOARD of DigiLocker account.
- Click on UPLOADED DOCUMENTS. Here you can upload your own documents and certificates.
- Then, you can eSign them. Click on UPLOAD to upload documents and certificates.
- Multiple documents can be uploaded at the single time.
- After uploading of documents, click on SELECT DOCTYPE and then choose from the drop-down list.
- If your preferences are not seen, then you can choose OTHERS from it.
- Then click on SAVE button.
- In the UPLOADED DOCUMENTS section you will find each and every certificates and document which you have uploaded recently.
SELECT DOCUMENT TYPE:
- Go to UPLOADED DOCUMENTS.
- From there select SELECT DOCTYPE.
- A pop-up box will open with the host of options of the document type.
- If you do not find the option out there then choose for OTHERS. Then click on orange SAVE button.
- Once you uploaded documents in UPLOADED DOCUMENT section, You will now find the list of documents uploaded.
- Click on eSign link provided for each document in this section.
- The user will receive OTP on the mobile the android app of DigiLocker is installed.
- If you are accessing DigiLocker through UMANG app then you will receive on the mobile where UMANG app is installed.
- Put the OTP and then click on eSign button.it will be converted to PDF if PDF file is not there of that document. Only one single file can be esigned at one time.
Slowly, you can make your DigiLocker account to have the electronic version of documents so that ultimately move towards successful implementation of complete Digital India initiative. With the affordable internet and smartphone, the march towards complete digitalisation is absolutely possible.