PURI SPICY CRAB – PURI SEVAYAT-BRAHMIN STYLE
Sweet Water Crabs – 1kg (two nos.)
Garlic Paste – 2tsp
Ginger Paste – 2tsp
Poppy Seeds – 2tsp
Cashew Nuts – 50gms.
Salt – as per requirement
Mustard Oil – 50gms.
Cinnamon Powder – 1tsp.
Cumin Powder – 2tsp.
Chili Powder – 1tsp.
Onion Paste – 1 cup
Coriander Leaves – 2 tsp. finely chopped.
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp.
Ghee of Cow Milk – 2 tsp.
– Boil two liters of water in a bowl.
– Crabs will run away if water is cold & you will have a terrible time to catch them up.
– Put the crabs in the boiling water for about ten minutes, ie. until the body of crabs turn red.
– Replace hot water by cold water with crabs immersed in it for five minutes.
– Drain water and dress crabs properly.
– Separate the cover shell from the body & Cut crabs in the middle vertically.
– Break the shell of the two big legs of each crab by two centimeter from the joints.
– Make a paste of cashew nuts & poppy seeds & keep aside.
– Heat oil in a frying pan & put garlic, ginger and onion pastes in the same chronology after half-a-minute gap from each other & fry until golden brown.
– Add salt,turmeric powder and half a cup of water and put all crabs inside allowing it to simmer until water evaporates.
– Put cumin, chilly powder and tomato sauce and toss it up.
– Add cashew and poppy seed paste and two cups of water.
– cook for two minutes & then simmer for a few minutes until one cup of water remains.
– Transfer the contents to a bowl and sprinkle cinnamon powder and two teaspoons of ghee on it.
– Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or rice.