It is a simple media cataloging tool, that can easily handle 200,000
files on a P90 processor. Files stored on removable media,
(CD-R’s, DVD+-R’s, or even diskettes), on hard drives or network
drives, can be found quickly and easily.It shows the list of all yours files in a simple test pad and this program can be of many prospects and how to use it , completely depends upon the users intelligence, and the management to continue , the pursuit of technological paramount.
Download from the location described.at the end of this article, it is a small download and also it is also ,one of standalone application,so double click,to enable it, and then choose catalogue and then root directory and then click the add in the label field ,change the label to the label on the disc or removable media and in such a way particular location being identified, options like directory list;full list;list MP3 files songs and albums;also there is one option of preserve catalogue file and then according to yours,choice of the options the list will then be saved as,text and according to yours ,choices place to save,isn’t wonderful.
It is a freeware technically postcard ware and the author requests:
“If you like this program, please send a postcard of your town,
village or country to my daughter to extend her collection (but you are
not obliged to do this!). Please don’t send pictures by e-mail!
You can use your own language, of course 🙂 The address is:
Miss Jana Vasickova
How to use Cathy ?(according to author)
1. Select the Catalog Tab and catalog your media
– it’s possible to catalog a subdirectory
– UNC drive names are supported
– the volume name can be overwritten if you wish
– the Archive checkbox is set according to media type,
but you may change it if you want
– you may drag some drive or folder and drop it to Cathy to catalog it
– comment change: select a single catalog, change the comment,
set/unset the Archive checkbox and press Return
– double-click on a row enables browsing the selected catalog
– click the right mouse button to copy the selected rows to the
clipboard or delete them (if allowed))
– The option List MP3 files etc. expects a directory structure
(directories are numbered to help you by EDA MP3/CD navigation)
– files and/or directories can be ignored (not cataloged), e.g.
*.tmp; *.jbf; Temp*; (the last one defines a directory like
‘Temporary Internet Files’)
– filter the list of catalogs by label or comment (button-checkbox)
2. Select the Search Tab to find the file you are looking for
– instead of wildcards use a part of the file name only
– there is a special character ‘|’ to mark the start or end
of the filename (e.g. pattern ‘.c|’ means files with extension ‘c’)
– exactly one wildcard character ‘*’ is allowed inside the searched text
– ‘*str’ is the same as ‘str*’ is the same as ‘str’
– ‘|s*doc|’ finds file names like ‘Solution.DOC’ or ‘StringDOC’
– ‘|s*doc’ also finds file names like ‘SolDOCument.txt’
– ‘s*doc’ also finds file names like ‘unSolDOCument.txt’
– the search is case-insensitive
– check Selected catalogs and/or filter the list of catalogs
if you want to search only a subset of them
– select ‘Duplicates’ to find them
(Duplicates means files having the same name and size)
– select ‘Same names’ to find files with identical filenames
– select ‘Same sizes’ to find files with equal sizes
– select ‘Singles’ to find files without duplicates
– select ‘Parents’ to find files which parent folder name
matches the search string (when …authoralbum
is used, search for the author to find his albums)
– select ‘Not archived’ to find that are not archived
in some _other_ catalog file
(Like the ‘Singles’ options, but looks for files
which are present in the subset not marked as ‘Archive’
and are not present in the subset marked as ‘Archive’)
– select ‘Archived’ to get the complement of not archived
– the date YY means YY0101, YYMM means YYMM01,
negative integer -n instead of days means ‘n days before today’,
empty date means today (when every field is left empty)
– to find directories only: use the condition Length < 0
– values 3M,3m,3000K,3000k,3000000 mean the same length of 3000000 bytes
– values 3G,3g,3000M,3000m etc.. mean the same length as 3000000000 bytes
– double-click on any row enables browsing the parent directory
– click the right mouse button to copy the selected rows to the clipboard
or open the single selected file in its default program
or open/explore the single selected directory
or create a tree-list of directories
or create a list of MP3-albums and songs
– delete file is available if Cathy is started with -dd option
– !refresh the catalog file after deleting files!
– the ‘Properties’ option doesn’t work for W95 and older W98
3. Select the Directory Tab to browse a catalog
– double-click on a directory will display its contents
– click the right mouse button to copy selected rows to the clipboard
or open the single selected file in its default program
– if you came from the Catalog Tab, you can display the contents
of the Next/Previous catalog by using the arrow buttons
or by Ctrl+N,Ctrl+P
– BACKSPACE returns to the parent folder
– local playlists are created for every album found on tree
in its directory (the medium must be present!)
– Preserved catalogs will be not overwritten when new one is created.
Paste rows from the clipboard to the Excel spreadsheet or Word
for further processing.
Customize which data to copy to clipboard – look at the registry
entries in …SoftwarerOvaCathyCopyFormats
Drag selected files to the desired location/application.
Click on any column-header to re-sort the list.
Edit the archived volume label when necessary.
Date formats are customizable (edit registry entries Software/rOva/Cathy/Format/)
Command line parameters expand the functionality a little:
-dir “dir1,dir2,…,dirn” read catalogs from more than one directory.
Catalogs from StartIn directory are always read.
-dd allows files to be deleted directly from Cathy.
-hits nnnn allows up to nnnn hits.
-subs JI allows starting programs from removable medium in drive I:
even if it was catalogized in drive J:.
More than one pair of drive names can be listed.
-icon N sets icon No.0-3 (0=default=green, 1=yellow, 2=blue, 3=red).
If you want to start Cathy as portable application, use the parameter
-ini cathy.reg , where cathy.reg is the export of registry entries for
Cathy saved as simple ASCII-file (not UNICODE). This file will be read
instead of registry entries, but no change will be written back to it.
Choose File/Settings menu option to set some parameters.